Thursday, May 8, 2014

Mother of All Mothers...That's a Compliment

In honor of Mother's Day, I dedicate this post to all mothers, those with children living with mental illness, and all mothers fighting the good fight every day to provide love, encouragement, support, stability and opportunity for their children.  While Hallmark recognizes mothers one day a year, it is a 24/7, 365 day a year, forever endeavor.    So enjoy your day, whether it be spent with your kids, who are pretending not to hate each other just for a day, or in solitude at a spa with a glass of wine, or a little of both. Hold tight the memories made this weekend.

I'd like to talk about one mother in particular, my own.  I could not have gotten through so many of the challenges of the past two years without this incredible woman.  She personifies strength and determination for me.  To quit is not in her vernacular or her DNA, she is tenacious and uncompromising when it comes to her family.  She is who you want in your corner when the chips are down, and everything seems impossible.  My mother is a bulldog in sheep's clothing. 

 When my son was first diagnosed, my mom researched every site she could on bipolar disorder, she educated herself so that she could better understand my son and what my family goes through. When it comes to health, mental or physical my mother has always believed in educating oneself in order to be one's own and best advocate.  It is no different for those she loves.  She would email various sites to read, and when I was too wrapped up in the eye of any given storm, it was comforting to know I could talk to her, in short hand, without rehashing the day in detail.  She didn't blink when I would snap at her in exhaustion, but instead offer an ear to bend.

In the past year in particular, my husband and I have been faced with situations in which we could never have anticipated.  My son's bipolar disorder coupled with other issues forced us to make some heartbreaking decisions.  My mom was a rock.  She has never judged her grandson for his actions, and she has been witness to some doozies.  She sees him through a different lens and I have jokingly told her this wasn't the mom I had growing up.  But that wasn't her role as mother, she and my father had to make tough decisions for myself and my brother and sister as well.  As do any parents.  Her role as grandmother allows her to have a relationship with her grandchildren free of parental responsibility, and instead one of mentor, nurturer, and friend.  And she takes her role very seriously.  I count my children quite fortunate to have this woman as their grandmother. 

I have cried to her and  with her on many occasions, more than I can count.  But she always managed to give me hope, even in the bleakest days.  I draw strength from her when I'm feeling weak and unsure of myself.  I only hope I can do the same for her.  She defines 'selfless" and has given me much more than I have given her.  I want her to know I am always here to return the favor, although hers are big footsteps in which to follow.

I get to spend part of this weekend with  two of my favorite people.  I feel so blessed to be able to share a day that honors mothers with them.  Two mothers for whom I have profound respect, two women I am privileged to call mother and sister.  I look forward to spending the day, doing what we do best, talking for hours!  This is such priceless, uninterrupted (once you have children this word falls into unfamiliar territory, only to be found again in the years of empty nesting I'm told) quality time and I will cherish it.  And I will hold tight the memories we make.

Happy Mother's Day Mom.  Thank you for being you.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful compliment, one that I will hold dear to me forever!

    No one is given notice when they will be confronted with a difficult situation or illness; just as there is no one who could prepare a family on how to deal will bipolar disease, an illness that defies the word 'control'.

    As with everything in life, you have handled your challenge with the utmost love and grace.

    Always remember...we are in this together.

    Love,
    A Proud Mom


    ReplyDelete