Wednesday, April 9, 2014

What Can You Expect From Me?

You can expect me to be honest!  If I'm having a bad day, I won't candy coat it, but I will try not to drag you down with me either.  My intention for starting this blog is two fold.....I want to open the door for others to speak freely about their experiences as parents of children with Bipolar Disorder, regain trust in themselves and help others.  It is also a form of therapy for me.  I get to write about my experiences and hopefully help someone else in the process.  Society's attitude toward mental illness needs an overhaul.  I am so tired of seeing mug shots of young people having committed some horrendous crime and labeled "Mentally Ill".  These mug shots should not be the face of mental illness and the only way for that to change is through US, the parents!  The face of Mental Illness looks just like you and me.  Statistics say one in four of you and me to be precise.

We have to share  what we know about our children.  It is messy, really messy, and if you are like me, most of your friends and family have no idea what you have dealt with.  But not sharing is isolating and lonely.  And you know you are in trouble when you seek comfort in that loneliness!  So little by little, let's lift ourselves out of the loneliness, because we are a community really, a community of parents who just want our children to find some balance, our families to find some peace, and our lives to regain a sliver of "normal".....a state of existence that seems to elude us.  What is "normal" anyway?  It is all relative isn't it?

I've wanted to start this blog for quite a while, but kept waiting for the perfect time.  I wanted to have a complete story to tell, but I have finally realized this story will never be complete.  I don't have a happy ending tied up with a pretty bow, I have a series of beginnings and endings called 24 hour days.  Yes my friends, as I'm sure most of you do, we live day to day.  Nothing is finite, with bipolar disorder, except the expectation of change.  So, can we as parents of bipolar kids change anything?  Can we change people's perceptions?  Can we change how we cope?  Can we change legislation? That's a biggy!  But yes, I think so.  

Please share what is working for you and your children.  Even if it is only for a week, or a month because what may not work for one could possibly work for another.  There is no single approach to treating bipolar disorder.  We all have something to offer one another, and there is something to be said for safety in numbers If you have a local event or support group to share, please post it.  

My future posts will focus on a single topic each time.  And if you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them.  Thank you for giving me your precious time.

Ride safely,
Colleen


No comments:

Post a Comment